Friday, 19 August 2016

Teen One Has The Monopoly

 
 
A friend from Leicester was visiting today, so I was up bright and  early to get the housework and ironing done.
She came around 10am, by which time I had made some Elijah bread with blueberries, dried apricots, pumpkin and sunflower seeds.
I knew it was the sort of thing she would like...and I was right!
She is going to make it with her grandchildren when she gets home.
We had a good old catch up, she was four grown up children and has recently moved so there was lots to catch up on!
Of course I didn't waste my sitting down time and managed to crochet up several granny squares.
 
 
After lunch she had to be on her way, and I had to hit the shops to get supplies for tomorrow.
We are visiting family near London and I am making up a selection of Jam Jar puds for dessert.
When in Morrisons I saw these cute bottles...only 50p each.
I would have bought at least half a dozen but there were only four left.
I don't have anything in mind for them just yet, but they are so adorable I couldn't leave them, and I just know they will be useful....one day!
Having convinced myself it was ok to buy stuff, even if I didn't know what to do with them, I was ever so slightly disheartened when the assistant said to me at the checkout " these are sweet....what will you do with them?"
I told her she shouldn't ask questions like that!!
 
 
Once home I cracked on with making a Dorset Apple cake...its quick and easy and will make a standby dessert for tomorrow...the shame of it is, I then went on to play Monopoly with the family and forgot it was in the oven!
It's not burnt...but is a little too golden brown...hence no photo!!
Once its covered in cream in a dish I am sure it will be fine!
 
 
With Hubby home Friday afternoon and no Friday club, we like to make the most of the time, but the weather was too wet today, so we opted for the said game of Monopoly...you do after all need a considerable amount of time to play that game.
We gave Teen Two the Bankers job hoping it would be good for his maths skills....well more his money skills.
I don't know if its just him or his generation, but he had no idea about "counting up" to give change...something I did all the time when I worked in a corner shop as a 14yr old.
Even Teen One said she had never done it before...but got the hang of it of course.
Teen Two found it easier using number bonds to quickly work out the difference and then give out the change.
I guess whatever method works is the one for you.
 
We knew early on Teen One was going to win...she had a whole line ( and more!) with hotels on, there was no way we were going to avoid landing on one of her properties and eventually we all lost what little we had!
Even with me giving out handouts "to my grandchildren" for their school fees, ( oh nan would have been proud, thats just how she played the game!) there was no defeating Teen One.
 
 
 
We had a non regulation playing piece, and no prizes for guessing who it belonged to!
It was a fun afternoon and the sun has finally come out!
I ought to add, that in between my goes I have been making rainbow jelly in jam jars...but with three more colours to make and set I am wishing I had started yesterday!
 
 
 
 
 
Friday August 19, 2016
Today's Promise:
   And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment