Saturday, 9 July 2016

Things To Be Happy About



 
This morning had a lovely slow start with Hubby bringing up a cuppa ( and the obligatory ginger bicces) whilst we thought about how the day was going to pan out.
Hubby had kind of planned to make another fence as one fell down in the week, leaving us slightly exposed.
But I really wanted to kitchen floor project to get kick started.
Like any discerning Hubby...he made the right choice!
 
 
The one thing we have to sort is the broken concrete by the sink...I will look at some quarry style tiles in the week, for the moment  we are concentrating on getting the floor sanded.
 
 
 
As usual there was a minor issue to sort which meant having to take the oven out temporarily...which did give me the opportunity to sweep behind it.
 
 
 
 
It was hot, hard work, and part way through the day we decided a floor sander would be much quicker....but could we find a hire shop that was still open (at 1.30pm) nope they all close at noon on Saturdays! Well we did find one that was stayed open till 1pm but even that was too early for us.
So if any budding entrepreneur is out there looking for an opening...try hiring tools on a Saturday afternoon...I really cant think we are the only people to be part way through a job at the weekend and decide to hire something!
So, in the end we decided to buy a new hand sander....but up grade to a meatier one.
Not only was it easier...it was so much cleaner to use.
The previous one filled the air with yellow mist...and of course I have that awful mess to clear up later!
We did cover as much as we could, and kept all the doors shut, but even the walls in the kitchen have  a yellow coating!
 
 But as you can see...he has made a lot of progress and there are just some small areas to focus on and then decide if we are going to use wax or varnish.
 
 
Whilst Hubby was doing the floor, I spent the morning in the garden and filled a large bag with weeds...
 
 
I was pretty exhausted after that, so sat down and did a spot of crocheting....I noticed we need a couple of little blankets for the pushchairs at Mother and Toddlers, so dug out some bright colours from my left overs stash.
I watched a bit of Wimbledon at the same time...cheering on the underdog....but of course Serena was just too good for her.
 
 
 
In the afternoon I did yet more digging out the back. I have actually finished what I set out to do.....
 
 
 
...but have extended my area of clearing to include removing a large section of grass by the garage door ( that alone took 45 minutes!)
 
 
 
I have also started to clear the area opposite the garage...this was wall height with brambles today...
 
 
 
 
...and they are now all bagged up ready to go to the tip.
 
 
 
Food time was looking a bit tricky...everything was covered in dustsheets and all over the place.
I had no idea where the cat bowls were...so they had dinner alfresco instead!
 
 
 
Dinner for us was going to be tricky as well...so what does one do...but have a takeaway!
Teen Two loves KFC and has longed to have one of their family bucket meals....so tonight we had our first one and you should have seen the smile on his face when I told him!
I  am missing the feeling of fresh food in my mouth though...despite having some cherry tomatoes from the fridge as my "side."
 
FQ2FF blogged today about the challenge to find something to be happy about for the next 100 days....I must confess to being rather an optimist, always looking for the good in something.
It started as a child...one Saturday afternoon I was watching the matinee with my grandmother, a film called "Look for the Silver lining" and starred Judy Garland.
It was the first time I had heard the expression and walked home...looking at the blue skies, thinking I would always try and look for the silver lining in life!
Later I read the Pollyanna books and was impressed by her "glad game" always finding something to be glad about.
Then as a young Christian in my teenage years  I discovered Bible verses such as
 " for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content."
"be content with such things as you have"
"godliness with contentment is great gain"
Verses such as these have kept me in good stead over the years that's for sure.
Thinking about things to be happy about today???
Well the list could be endless but lets name a few:
A loving family
A hardworking Hubby
The strength to get the hard work out the back done
Hot running water to shower in when I came in hot and sweaty!
Money in the bank (and the car!) to drive round and treat the family to our first KFC bucket!
I could go on and on....but you get the idea!
 
Saturday July 9, 2016
Today's Promise:
   But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
 

 

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic day!!!! Well done to everyone, as they say down here in Devon 'Proper Job' xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete