Tuesday, 17 May 2016

An Evening Of Poetry

 
Apologies to all your arachnophobics  out there.... but this picture doesn't really do justice to the size of what came charging out me this morning!
As I was folding up washing from the conservatory I remembered the duvet cover had a slight rip in it. So, being a good girl I thought I would sew it up right there and then.
I carried the duvet cover around the house as I went to the sewing box....had it in my lap as I threaded the needle...then went in search of the rip...moving the cover around my lap...when all of a sudden this ran at me!
An average spider wouldn't bother me too much...but this was huge and fast!
I threw the cover on the floor and screamed as I ran out of the room ( how childish I hear you all say!)
Hubby came in ( that's how early it was...he hadn't left for work!) and when he saw what I screamed at said "well that was an over reaction don't you think?"
What a cheek!
 
 
 
With the spider safely returned to the garden, and the sewing completed, I cracked on and made a sponge for my friend.
 
 
 
I then made a "quick" call to the insurance company to accept an online quote for the new car and see about having the old one put on it as well.
Well....an hour later and having parted with almost £50 to have the car on for just a month, as well as getting them to give me the renewal price as the one quoted online and not the automatically generated one of twice as much...I think we finally got there!
I am now dreading how much it is going to be to have to have the old car on as a second vehicle, if £45 is just for one month!
I think some research is going to be needed ahead of the 30day period we have got the car covered for.
This having two cars lark is more complicated ( not to say expensive) than I thought!
 
 
My friend rang to say her Hubby had been sent home ill, so we wouldn't be able to go round as planned...seeing as I had already made her cake I suggested she come to us.
So, after a quick trip to Lidls for their cheese diamond rolls ( a regular feature of Tuesday lunch with them) and then collecting them, we had lunch out in the garden.
Hubby has put the gazebo roof on, so we were able to enjoy the warmth but not the direct sunlight.
Unfortunately I mislaid my camera so couldn't take any pics of their little one enjoying her self on the grass with Teen One, and hence an old piccie for you to look at.
 
 
Tonight Teen One was doing a favour for her piano teacher...reading some of her poetry.
It was for an "Evening of Poetry" and she had asked Teen One some time ago if she would do the reading.
I hadn't realised the whole evening was going to be just on her poems!
She has had a number published in magazines and poetry books and earned a little bit of money doing so.
 
 
 
She has also won several booklets of poems, and as a momento of the evening gave everyone a pile to look through and keep.
I must confess that poetry does not rank high on my reading list, although I have written poems in years gone by and my Grandad used to write poems as well.
I had quoted Rupert Brooke a few moments before she had offered the booklets round...so when I saw this one, I thought it was one of those "meant to be" moments.
 
 
 
For my English 'O' Levels back in the 70's I had  to study English War poetry and remember being very moved by them, especially Rupert Brooke's "The Soldier."
So now I have my own copy!
Teen One did well with all the reading and everyone congratulated her on how clearly she read them all.
 
Coming home was a new experience...I hadn't driven the new car in the dark....it lights up like Blackpool illuminations!
Ambient lighting inside too!
It was very surreal to see so many lights and the keys still in my hand!
 
Tomorrow is the funeral of my dear Recycled Teenager next door...there is going to be a bugler playing the Last Post...so its going to be very emotional.'
 
Daily Blessing
Tuesday May 17, 2016
Today's Verse:
   Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. A different but interesting day!! Well done teen one on the poetry reading!! Sounds quite cultural. Will be thinking of you tomorrow, will be a bit of a difficult one!!!xxxxx

    ReplyDelete