Friday, 15 April 2016

Saying Goodbye

 
 
Most of today was spent at a funeral.
The service was in two parts, first a Thanksgiving Service and then the committal.
Because the loved one was young, it was very moving, hearing all his achievements, seeing  a short film of him doing what he loved...and what ultimately took his life...Paramotoring.
I learned he was part of the Team GB and was ninth in the world for his sport.
There was representation from all aspects of his life, his work, his sport, his family of  course and his church family.
Despite the great sadness that surrounded today, there was peace that when he was 14yrs old he realised he was a sinner and ask the Lord to forgive him and come into his life.
For him now, he is with the Lord...and as one of the young men who gave an appreciation on his life,  reminded us, for the believer the body is simply "asleep."
I had been feeling heavyhearted for the poor widow all week....and today that heavy heartedness extended to his mother.
It dawned on me, that when your kids get married, you are no longer the number one in their life...you have to take the back seat....how hard it must have been for that poor mother today.
When everyone filed out of the crematorium this afternoon, some pausing to touch or look at the coffin, the mother sat quietly in her seat, her head bowed.
An older lady touched her shoulder as she went by..."I am ok" said the mother
"I just want some time with him alone when everyone has gone"
I had already shed some tears seeing the film that showed holiday snaps, him growing up, getting married etc, but this sight really broke me.
Saying goodbye, even when you have the confidence you will meet your loved ones again, is not easy.
 
 
 
Life, as they say, must go on, and with the funeral over, it was time for me to rush home and get ready for Kids club.
I took along the pom pom makers I had bought in the US last week (was it ONLY last week!)
It was a real hit with the kids....they wanted to make one of every size...but there wasn't time for that so I promised to take them along again next week.
I was actually helping out with the older kids tonight, whilst Teen One and a friend held the fort with the younger ones...
 
 
 
 
...their story tonight was King Saul being chosen.
I was inspired by these sandwiches I found online...but without a crown cutter thought we would have to go with something like this style found online...
 
 
.... I tasked Teen One with cutting them out...sadly I forgot to take a picture of the finished crowns....
 
 
 
 
...but this will give you an idea...these were the first ones...which she didn't like, and ultimately  we made up icing sugar instead of using jam to stick the jewels on, but jam to sandwich the bread together with.
 
It has been a day that has sapped a lot of energy from me, so I am looking forward to bed, and once again feel grateful for having my loved ones around me.
 
 
Daily Blessing
Friday April 15, 2016
Today's Psalm:
   Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment