Thursday, 7 April 2016

Day Fourteen Of Our US Adventure: A New England Apple Orchard

 
Today we woke to rain....not so pretty as the snow that's for sure...but we didn't have much planned so it wasn't really a problem.
Our friend had suggested we visit a local orchard, which I was more than up for as I knew it would have a shop selling all kinds of unique items
 
 
 
Inside was beautifully decorated with traditional rustic farming equipment...
 
 
 
...the shelves were full of local produce...
 
 
...made from their own apples...which were also available to buy...
 
 
with apples not making the grade 1 quality, sold cheaper....still perfect to eat, just not the right size, shape...I guess this is the US version of  wonky veg.
Some of the apples were HUGE!
 
 
There were also fresh cranberries available...and I really took a fancy to the apple peeling and slicing machine...but thought maybe I might be able to get it back in the UK... if not it will be on my wish list for our next visit!
 
 
My friend bought a pumpkin pie, made locally, with plenty winter squash still available to buy.
 
 
It was hard to choose what to bring back with us....we finally settled on Apple Butter, Apple Salsa, Hickory Barbecue Sauce, which I hope will go well with some pulled pork one day.
 
 
 
For a friend's birthday I bought  a pack of traditional spices for making cider (non alcoholic)
pumpkin recipes and some local maple syrup.
 
 
Something else that was new to us was "honey sticks"
Teen One chose Sour Cherry, Chocolate, Caramel, Ginger, and previously she had chosen strawberry, watermelon and lime.
These sticks can be sucked like a sweet, or added to a hot drink such as tea or coffee.
 
 
 
We then went on to a supermarket and I thought how sweet these apples looked!
I would have bought some but we aren't allowed to bring fresh fruit back sadly.
 
 
I really like these cereal boxes....made using ingredients from a portion of the Bible, Ezekial 4vs9
but I didn't like them enough to pay $8 a box!
 
 
 
The boys have gone to the US Coastguard Museum for the afternoon.
They had started out going to the Nautilus Submarine Museum but sadly found it was closed for maintenance on their arrival.
Hopefully they have had a good afternoon at the coastguard museum instead.
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
My friend has been busy in the kitchen as I have been blogging.
She is making a raisin pudding, which looks very unusual...the dough seems to be floating in liquid!
She has also been sharing with me some of the herbs she uses...one I had never heard of and thought it was a mixture of herbs...Summer Savoury...but it is an actual plant.
There is also a Winter Savoury.
My friend is originally from Prince Edward Island, so has a lot of Canadian influence  of course, and these herbs grow over there and are very popular in Canadian cooking.
She has kindly given me a pot, which I am looking forward to using when I get home.
 
Today is our last day of course...but lets not dwell on that!
 
Daily Blessing
Thursday April 7, 2016
Today's Verse:
   Let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. A lot achieved for a day 'not much planned'. You've certainly had a wonderful time. Enjoy the remaining time.xxx

    ReplyDelete