Sunday, 20 March 2016

Unusual Telephone Boxes, Teacups and Treasure Hunting!

 
This morning started with church as usual...
 
 
...then home to cook the roast beef....
 
 
 
...and from there on we broke with our usual Sunday afternoon tradition!
No Scrabble for us today, instead we went out for a drive to a craft centre out in the country, in search of some final gifts to take to the US at the end of this week.
En route we saw this very unique telephone box....which is now a mini library!
What a novel use for an iconic landmark, no longer needed for its original use.
 
 
I had been looking for things that were specifically made locally, so these purchases strictly speaking were off piste...but they looked so attractive I couldn't resist them!
I have taken over these "Salmon" recipe books before over the years, but these are new and the art work is delightful...very reminiscent of Ladybird Book pictures.
 
 
 
I fell in love with the work of a local artist who has produced some delightful pictures, made from stones, shells etc collected from local beaches, and then created little scenes.
I almost bought one that looked like a couple sitting on a swing but ended up with this cute pair of birds looking up at their birdhouse.
It has inspired Teen One to have a go!
The friends I bought this for have the most amazing bird feeders by the dining room window, which attracts the most beautiful birds....we sit there for hours watching them come and go.
 
 
 
Something else rather unusual was this teacup pin cushion.
The seller had several things inside tea cups, but this caught my eye.
I have some pretty pins upstairs to put in the cushion and then I will wrap it up in cellophane.
I thought it might be quite easy to recreate as well.
 
 
I did buy a pretty glass bowl, handpainted with snow drops, but didn't want to spoil the beautifully way it was wrapped...so you will have to imagine that one!
For the man who has everything ( our host!) we bought a Roman coin, found locally.
We have the remains of a Roman Palace fairly nearby and consequently Roman coins  are in the vicinity.
A local treasure hunter has a small number for sale at the Craft centre and we thought, surely...he hasn't got one of those!
We are hoping he will appreciate the age, and maybe use it as a talking piece at Sunday school.
 
As a result of our gadabouting, I haven't managed to do any more to the skirt...you will have to wait a little longer to see how it turns out!
 
Daily Blessing
Sunday March 20, 2016
Today's Psalm:
   Shew me thy ways, O LORD; teach me thy paths. Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day.
 
 


1 comment:

  1. I am sure your hosts will be delighted with everything you have bought. They all look delightful. Well done.xxxxx

    ReplyDelete